I put a lot of thought into how I was going to get into the publishing industry, and ultimately decided an MA was the best way to go. Publishing is a difficult field to get in to, in no small part because places don't want to hire you if you don't have experience, and there aren't many houses willing to give you that experience. By doing an MA, I'll be able to gain real experience through placements while on my course. The qualification and additional knowledge and skills I will gain on the course should not only make me much more employable, but will also (fingers crossed) help me to find a job more easily. An MA will also give me a firm foundation in a variety of publishing areas, which seems like something that can only help me in the long run.
Plus there's also the fact that I just think it'd be cool to have an MA, and this is a subject that I'm not only interested, but that I already study about on my own. Plus it's about a million times more useful than something like an MA in English Literature. (No offense if you have one, you've just got to admit that it's pretty damn useless for anything outside of academia.)
So basically that's three reasons:employability, interest in the field, and simply wanting to be able to say I have an MA.
No comments:
Post a Comment