Wednesday, 28 July 2010

Reading Lists and Frankfurt

The 2010 Publishing MA reading list was sent out on Monday, much to my delight! It is as follows:
Inside Book Publishing
From Pitch to Publication: Everything You Need to Know to Get Your Novel Published
Book Commissioning and Acquisition
How to Market Books: The Essential Guide to Maximizing Profit and Exploiting All Channels to Market 4th edition
Publishing for Profit: Successful Bottom-Line Management for Book Publishers
Getting it Right in Print: Digital Prepress for Graphic Designers
Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works (2nd Edition)

As I mentioned earlier, I've been really quite pleased with myself as I've already started reading Inside Book Publishing, but there's always a but. The reading list made it clear that we're expected to read this before the start of term. I'm still ahead of things, but not as ahead of things as I'd thought. It's still miles ahead of where I'd usually be at this point though (reading? for school? now? ha.) so I'm still happy.


And now, for the most amazing news in the history of the world (which may or may not be a slight exaggeration): I am going to The Frankfurt Book Fair this year. Also known as Frankfurter Buchmesse, it's the world's largest trade fair for books. It's a huge deal in the industry, and I'm going! To say I'm thrilled would be an understatement. This is a fantastic opportunity for me professionally (networking!), academically (getting a better understanding of The Big Picture), and socially (getting to know the people on my course). I've also never been to Germany before, so that's a bonus.

But most of all, what I'm looking forward to the most at Frankfurt is just one thing: books. Books, books, books, and books. So many books I'm pretty sure I'm going to tear up (no joke) when I first walk in.

But in the mean time, I still have 1 month, 3 weeks, 2 days until the start of term, and a few more weeks on top of that for Frankfurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment